Saxophone Forum

by clarinet1st
(11 posts)
18 years ago

MP for a vintage Buescher

I recently picked up a very nice Tru-Tone (serial # 142XXX). I have played alto for a long time and have been watching for the tenor of my dreams to come a long. I'm glad to have found it. What are some mouthpieces I should try while searching for a good set up? Most of my tenor work is with small jazz combos. I just haven't yet found a mouthpiece that feels and plays 'right'. The mouthpieces that play well on modern horns simply do not do this instrument justice. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: MP for a vintage Buescher

The Otto Link Super Tone Master sounds pretty good on my old Conn Chu Berry tenor. I have an old Berg duckbill mouthpiece from the 50's that's a 95/2 that sounds pretty good also. I would recommend a metal piece for tenor with a large open chamber design. Stay away from those pieces with baffels or resonators. They can throw off intonation. If you prefer a hard rubber piece, I would suggest either the Meyer G series or the Otto Link Tone Edge. Both have a large chamber and should work well on a True Tone.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by clarinet1st
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

Re: MP for a vintage Buescher

Thanks Jim. I was hoping that you would respond. I am not happy with the way my Dukoff D7 sounds on this horn. I have also tried a hard rubber Yamaha that sounds better, but is stuffy.

Reply To Post