Saxophone Forum

by Carlos_Whizz
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer mouthpieces

Hi there. I've just responded to a post about alto mouthpieces and mentioned my standard Selmer E opening metal Classic which I have been using for some time. I bought it on eBay, from the 1970s (I think) and have found it very good for jazz. I usually use it with 3 Javas or 3 Rico Reds but have just started experimemting with other reeds. I'm finding that it is very susceptible to different reed types notably the Vandoren ZZ, V16 and La Voz Mediums with a wide variety of sound available. What type of setup do you use on your mouthpieces and do you find them really easy to get different sound colour? I am astounded and have rarely seen Selmer Classics wirth other players. Are they rare? Thanks. C

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer mouthpieces

As far as I know, they are not a common choice. I happened upon mine because my old repair tech had a few metal mpcs he wasn't using anymore and I bought it for $25. I imagine that a mouthpiece cast in brass and designated for classical playing would be a tough sell to get the attention of mainstream buyers: a low baffle to disinterest the rock/jazz players of the world and the stigma of metal to make it seem inapropriate for concert music. I use mine with Hemkes or ZZs. :)

Reply To Post