Saxophone Forum

by Jasper
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Conn Transitional serial number

I have a Conn Transitional LowPitch Alto. -gold laquer -plain engraving -LH Bell Key Design -New Wonder style octave key (not a underslug) The serialnumber is 253xxxA. Does anyone knows what this 'A' is doing after the 6-digit serial number?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Transitional serial number

A is for Alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Jim , its not like you to make a mistake , the A before and above the serial number is for alto. The A after the number has been debated before without a definate answer , i personally think it could be because they stamped the same number on two horns so they added the A but thats only a guess.This letter is quite common on saxophones from conn around this time, either they had a dumb stamper or its for another reason like experimental batch Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Jasper
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, could be it... My guess was something like 'special order'. My alto has a 'New York style' neck. So maybe the buyer had his instrument 'custom made' and therefore they added the 'A' ?? Jasper (Holland)

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Could "A" be "alternate style"?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I guess I didn't read that question carefully. I thought it was a strange question considering you knew everything else about your horn! I THINK Sax Mom is probably correct. The A after the serial number most likely represents that it is an experimental or alternet key configuration.

Reply To Post Yahoo!