Saxophone Forum

by vintage-markVI
(12 posts)
18 years ago

college audition pieces

i just need suggestions. both classical and jazz.i dont take lessons and have had some stuff given to me by my director but i figured i would ask you guys. thanks for any and all help. -nick

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: college audition pieces

im playing the lawson Lunde sonata for saxophone. it is quite a chellenging piece but very good. most professors should know it. for jazz do something out of the charlie parker omni book. i did yardbird suite

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

18 years ago

what do they want a jazz etude? for improv stuff i always have about 10 blues on lock for my auditions and 3 ballads, but my staple piece right now is all the things you are and i have about 4-5 rhythm changes up right now it depends if you have a rhythm section, sometimes I will play a bebop blues and then a laid back oleo for rhythm changes or like a salt peanuts and a chilled blues

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

the best thing to do is contact the profeesor you will be auditioning for and ask exactly what they want and if they have any suggestions. all the sax professors i know are very willing to help and talk to you. and it wouldnt be a bad idea to try and get a lesson before your audition

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

18 years ago

barisax i did the lunde sonata for all-state i love the second movement the most... i hadnt ever found any else who had even heard of it except my teacher until now and i felt special... thx for ruining it for me lol jk

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

i wouldnt say its technically very hard tho... its hard to play without rushing, but except for a couple spots in the third movement there arent very many tricky fingerings or anything

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

your right over all its not extremely difficult, but rushing is an issue and there were 2 or 3 licks that werent hard exactly, but my fingers didnt want to play them right, if that makes any sense. it probably doesnt, but i dont know how to explain it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Dr.Palacios
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

i would recomend the creston sonata or the glaznof for alto for tenor the dipasquel sonata. now those are real hard so you should check them out first. as far as jazz choose some standards such as misty,autumn leaves,donna lee,my one and only love,st. thomas, and the list goes on. feel free to contact me for a greater list. or just go on google. there are iterally thousands of tunes you can choose.

Reply To Post