Saxophone Forum

by Black Orpheus
(23 posts)
18 years ago

Vandoren V16 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will give me a more "meaty" sound. I play on a YTS-62 sax with a Morgan 6M mouthpiece and #3 Java reeds right now. I've been looking at this V16 mouthpiece and it looks like it has some great reviews, and sounds like it will make my tone a bit more meaty. Has anyone had good luck with these mouthpieces, and if so what is your setup? Can you reccommend a particular facing for me (I like the tip opening I have now but I'm willing to try something more open, and I've never used anything other than a medium facing, so I thought the T45 might be good for me). Thanks for the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Black Orpheus
    (23 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vandoren V16 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

I'm especially looking to know what ligatures work well with it. Also, for around the same price, do you have any better moutpiece reccommendations?

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxplyr
      (35 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vandoren V16 Metal Tenor Sax Mouthpiece

hey man, I play a BARI WTII mouthpiece and it helped me kinda pull my sound a lot. It was thin and weak and now its a little brighter and stronger. For you, if you want the big full meatty sound, theres a few things you can try. A friend of mine played a V16 and eventually changed to a Berg Larsen 110/3. The 110 is the tip and berg larsen has different chamber baffle sizes from 0 (brightest) to 4 (fullest). They're cheaper than the V16, by about $100 so you can afford to try a bunch and pick the one you like. Dont forget about the otto links also. They're a bit duller in sound. The berg larsens though are really popular especially because you can pick your tip opening and facing check it out.

Reply To Post