Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Solo or jazz?

Hey I have this really hard thing that i have to learn if i want to get into Jazz band, at the same time i also have this song i have to learn REALLY well if i want to do a solo in a solo and esomble thing that you can be in if you want. i don't know if i can do both. How do you think that i could manage my time and do both? or what one do you think that i should drop?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by spifster
    (67 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Solo or jazz?

first thing, you should probably put this under high school sax... but it really depends on what you want to do. i did both the last two years, this year im not doing either. the thing about jazz band is you get a lot more opportunities to play, while solo and ensemble is only one song. also solo and ensemble contest has to be a classical song while jazz band is obviously jazz.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

If I was guaranteed a spot in the ensemble I'd definitely concentrate on the jazz, with the goal of maximizing the chance to be in both. You'll get your chance to solo in the ensemble eventually. Don't blow off the ensemble solo, but don't stress over it, either. You might actually play it better that way...

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Simple! If you can't do both, do the one you enjoy the most. However, there might be something else in your life you could give up, something that you don't enjoy as much as music. There are only so many hours in the day and the only one who can make this kind of choice is you........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM