Saxophone Forum

by kd6tjc
(17 posts)
18 years ago

Conn Tenor 1960 serial#811910

Hello all name is steve Im new to the serial number's on vintage saxophones. Ive been playing a conn alto and tenor from 1972 both where bought used. I never got into where,why,who,how well is it made and what is it worth. I just found out my tenor was made in 1960 serial number's 811910 thanks to this web site. I'm a little confused about where and who made the saxophone and how well made she is. I have no questions with my Conn alto information from this site is that she was made in 1942.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Tenor 1960 serial#811910

It is ,actually, made in 1959 and could be one of the last elkhart made conns Dave

Reply To Post

1. by kd6tjc
      (17 posts)

18 years ago

First off let me Thanks for your input Im ever so greatful. I was off a year in my favor this is a good thang I thought it might be one of the good old conn saxophones. Do you know how I can ID it better in respect to where it was made other then serial numbers. Thank Again Steve

Reply To Post Yahoo! ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It was made in Elkhart. Conn didn't move production to Nogales, Arizona until late 1968. If your sax has the shooting stars engraving, it's a 16M Directors model which is a student-intermediate model horn, but still a very good horn. If it features the Naked Lady engraving (topless lady in pentagon surrounded by music notes) it is a 10M professional model, which is a favorite among collectors and one of my personal favorites! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kd6tjc
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

Hello Jim Thanks for clearing this up the saxophone is a Elkhart 16M shooting star. I wish was the naked lady but Im greatful it's not a Nogales. Thanks Steve

Reply To Post Yahoo! ICQ

2. by kd6tjc
        (17 posts)

18 years ago

Hello Dave Ive found this to be a Elkhart Conn 1959 shooting star saxophone. I also have a selmer bundy II saxophone year 1962 would you or someone else give me some feedback sax to sax which one is the better of the two in play,sound and quality made. Conn is getting repad job havent played it yet. Thanks Steve

Reply To Post Yahoo! ICQ

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

The Conn is a far superior horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kd6tjc
            (17 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah you got that right just received the Conn back from repad. WOW play is light night and day quick response on keys excellent bright lovely tone 100% better. The bundy II play is nice a all around good sax but this Conn and I will quote you my friend is a far superior horn. Thanks for the input Steve

Reply To Post Yahoo! ICQ