Saxophone Forum

by Beth
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Weltklang soprano.

Hi can any one suggest why the note,s from d to f high on me sop don,t work. Thanks Beth.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Weltklang soprano.

you probably have leaks and need to get it adjusted. have you played soprano before?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds more like mpc, reed or embouchure Dave

Reply To Post

2. by km
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

does anyone have more general info re weltklang sopranos? I have recently acquired a straight one-piece silver sop serial number 3871 - I would be interested in info re age, where made, likely faults, preferred mpcs etc any assistance? km

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

The only welklang sop i have played seemed OK but a bit course sounding and feel to it. They were east german horns before the iron curtain came down Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Ratstar
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hello KM ,Weltklang sop,s are a Richard Keilwerth stencil made late 40,s to 50,s in a town called Markneukirchen,[Klingenthal] east germany.Richard is well known for his clarinets, and baritone saxe,s under the Weltklang name.Weltklang sops mechanic,s where well engineered for there age, but the brass they where made acquired from the russian,s was of poor quality too much copper. I,d suggest that they would appeal to the heart eg LOVE or ENVEY! MPC,s is a personal choice.My seriel No is 6562 and is lacqured brass long worn away and is a student level model your,s being silver plated is maybe of better quality although the the brass was supposedly of poor quality.His brother still make,s moderd saxe,s of which I,m interested, a straight alto and a straight tenor made of nickel silver which supposedly is the fastest reacting metal to frequency change They are supposed to sound beautiful but in a jam situation hard to here as the bell sits on the floor and on setting up a foldback mike too much noise from rest of band [drummer].There is a internet sight somewhere of the Keilwerth family dad and two sons julius and Richard.I am respectfully your,s Ratstar.

Reply To Post

1. by km
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Many thanks for this. I am surprised mine is so old - it looks in better condition than other 50 year old saxes I've seen. I'm not sure how to judge the quality of the brass - how is it possible? If the instrument is straight & in tune - what else is there? These seem to be quite rare in the UK - in fact I bought mine in Amsterdam; perhaps more remain in what was the eastern bloc? I am using a selmer C* mouthpiece currently but would be interested in any suggestions thanks again km

Reply To Post

2. by mamafrica
        (9 posts)

18 years ago

hEllo all and aspecially ratstar.. Sorry for my very bad english. So, I saw you in the weltklang soprano. I don't understand all so I'll just ask you a question: if it's in very good condition, and restamped(?), for how much do you buy it. It is metal grey and appears in very good condition.

Reply To Post

1. by km
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

it is in good condition: I'm not sure what "restamped" means - it has the name & number stamped on the bell; it was 450 euro in amsterdam earlier this year - which seems a fair price km

Reply To Post

2. by mamafrica
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

restamped is new wad or new stamp... Do you think that's good for a first soprano saxophone? Mama

Reply To Post