Saxophone Forum

by jag1557
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Vintage Vito

Bought a Vintage Vito manufactured Kenosha Wis. having trouble tracking down year of horn. Ser#2937A. Checked at a repair shop they figured late 50's early 60's. Also checked with LeBlanc and Conn no help. The A seems to throw them off. I need to replace pads and clean up tarnish, just wondering is this sax worth the effort? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vintage Vito

well i have a vsp from 62 it has selmer style pads with plastic res. on them, it plays great. im told by my local tech it's like a yamaha. can't you take it apart yourself, measure the cups and order any kind of pads from music medic? i just finished a tru tone stencil myself with the roo pads with plastic res. and it plays fantastic. you will need some tools, but there are enough articles and help on the web. it does take a lot of time. i worked of and on for about 6 weeks. but it's kinda fun and the reward is great. to have someone else do it the cost might outweigh the value of the horn, i paid olny around 100 dollars for all parts not counting tool i have accumulated. mini torch, corks, cup bending tools, pad irons, but these will last. have fun with it

Reply To Post

1. by jag1557
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Many thanks. I had it torn apart cleaned up and got it back together before I do the pad change. Just to make sure I didn't have to many cob webs in the attic. Have the pads, just got them in bought on ebay metal res. One question did you use the shellac stick or hot glue stick. From what I've read the best way to go is the shellac. I aggree so far it has been rather interesting and perhaps a new hobby. Will let ya know how it goes.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

18 years ago

i used the stick shellac. the pad irons helped alot. it helps you "float" the pads by spinning the pad once the glue is melted and heats the pad to help it seat. read the articles at saxgormet, but don't do business with him

Reply To Post

1. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Your "Kenosha" Vito may or may not be an American-made horn. If it has a little lever under the G# Key, it is French, made by Beaugnier. There are other differences, but this one is the easiest one to explain. Either way - You have a great horn. Later Vitos were made by Yani (I think the ESP is in this category), later still by Yamaha.

Reply To Post