Saxophone Forum

by MHreczuck
(14 posts)
18 years ago

Caring for a vintage horn

I've just purchased a vintage alto and I'm thrilled! I can't wait to get it, I think I'll pull it out and start playing it in the office when it comes. So I'm looking for tips. What are some do's and dont's you folks have learned from maintaining your horns? Keeping the plating in best condition, etc. The horn looks fantastic and I want to make sure to keep it that way!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Caring for a vintage horn

Congrats on the horn, what is it? best way is to wipe down after use and use a pull thru swab Dave

Reply To Post

1. by MHreczuck
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

Ok, same care as usual. After so much debate over picking a horn out and racking up a list of "favorites" I took a few days off and when I returned to saxquest I saw the second Chu Berry Portrait model and I couldn't resist! The engraving's got a castle and I always had a thing for those. I think it was a sign. :) -Mindy

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like a sweet horn! I agree with Dave- keep it clean and use the pull through swab. I would like to add, find a tech that really knows how to work on old Conns. (just in case)

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

I would suggest key oil, even though that is under "normal care". Vintage horns tend to need more key oil that many others do. Also, don't be freaked if you have to get it repaired kinda often. I'm in high school and use a '37 King Tenor that I usually have to have reapaired every month. No biggie. Could be the fact that Im in high school and it usually gets pushed around more than I want. :)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

"No biggie. Could be the fact that Im in high school and it usually gets pushed around more than I want. :)" this is why i always suggest high school students NOT getting very really super nice horns for college when they just get into high school.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and I'm not rough with my two horns, I let them air out after use (they have been sitting around now for a few days), and I take them in when needed. so far I haven't had to do a lot to either horn, just a bent/broken palm key, and a few other small problems. and I try not to let them get really cold.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM