Saxophone Forum

by ps
(35 posts)
18 years ago

New Wonder vs Director's models

Hello all. I am couious to know how a Conn New Wonder Series II (serial #172,XXX) would compare to a M14 Directors model (newer vintage #803,XXX). The New Wonder is a tenor and the M16 is an alto(of course). The comparison I'm looking for would be in ease of playing, features, re-sale value etc. and anything else anyone may care to add. Generally, which is the "better" horn. I own the alto and am thinking of trading it for the tenor. It will likely cost me a few $ as well. Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Wonder vs Director's models

Both pro horns but the sound of the chu is much more 'toneful' , that director should be from 1959 and an elkhart horn Dave

Reply To Post

1. by ps
      (35 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Wonder vs Director's models

Yes, and the director is in very good shape, nearly mint I would say. Except for a small dent right on the very bottom and center of the horn. Hardly noticable unless you really look. I don't really want to part with it but I have a buescher that I use more often and I'd like to acquire this tenor. A director in this shape will likely increase in value as the years go by. As you said, it was made on 1959 and if I said to someone that it was three years old they would probably beleive me. That's how good it looks. Actually I bought it off ebay and put a little money into it, just minor things and it plays wounderfully now. Probably the best deal I made on ebay. Sax playing is more of a hobby for me right now. I was really serious at one point, but realized about thirty years ago that I was not going to be a great horn player. But I still love these old saxophones.

Reply To Post