Saxophone Forum

by Grumpie
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Buescher Aristocrat Tenor

I,m looking at some Buescher Tenors. Serials are around 280xxx and 340xxx. First one is I think a New Aristocrat, second one could either be a Big B or a 140 I think (Big B without engraving??) How about brass quality story around s/n 340x and how about these two horns. Hope to have a long lasting relationship with one of these.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Gary Boudreau
    (1 post)

3 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat Tenor

I have a buescher aristocrat tenor saxophone true tone, it is the Big B Serial number 306125.

You would need to look up the serial to determine its age. It has a large "B" engraved in the art work on the right side of the bell, so I think this means it is a Big B.  I have not played it in years but it has always was stored at room temperature in the house, stored in its case. Played it today after cleaning it and sounds very good.  Bought around 2000 played it for 1.5 years and eventually bought a new  Keilwerth tenor. Now I do not use it. Looking to get a reasonable offer. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

3 years ago

If you are looking for a reasonable offer I would list it here in the trading post and also start a new thread stating it is there and for sale. A reasonable offer would depend on a complete description and pictures. There are a lot of these sitting on shelves and  awaiting a buyer.

check out Junkdude.com he has a few examples to give youa start point.

https://www.junkdude.com/collections/saxophones/tenor-saxophones

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Superb horns and dont worry about the brass quality rumours. I find the best seems to be the series 1 aristocrats with the smaller bell 267K-291K BUT THIS IS ONLY MY PREFERENCE. i also own a 156 tenor (after big B run but a big B without the B engraved) and is also a superb horn Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Grumpie
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thnx for the info Dave. I'll try to go testplay these horns next week. I read about the projection and power the series 1 seem to have and the 156 (340xx could be 156 or Big B, but they are the same I understand) being a bit more spread or even sweeter sound. Have to find out what does it for me, hope to know next week.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Yes it could be either BIG B 291-355K 156 331-357K. Lets hope that both horns are set up well as a bad set up on either could give you a false reading Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Grumpie
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

I'm not worried about the set-up. I'm very happy with my saxshop and tech. That's were I'll be playing so probably the horns are already set-up the way they should and since the tech is always there and they know when I'll be there it is always possible to make some adjustments (would be surprised if that will be needed). I'm looking forward testing them. I will post the result and my possible switch from Martin to Buescher.

Reply To Post

2. by Grumpie
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Played the horns today for a long time. Diffecult to choose between them, really wanted both of them, but the 156 came home with me, snaps, Norton's everything is there. I found the 156 to be a bit more free and open, seemed to be less resistance and I liked that. But the series 1 projection made me grab that one over and over. If I ever need an extra horn, I know what to look for.

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Glad it worked out good for you, they are extreemly fine horns and soooo undervalued Dave

Reply To Post

2. by jwcarr252
        (1 post)

11 years ago

I'm relatively new to the tenor, and I'm not sure what the "set up" is that I keep seeing on here. Can you help?

Reply To Post

3. by birdlover
        (43 posts)

11 years ago

The set up is the brand of sax, the particular model of that brand, the type of pads, the type of resonators, the type of mouthpiece, ligature, and reed, the spring tension (light or heavy) and even the height of the cups. Just for illustration a legit player will likely have a different set up then a jazz player or a rock musician. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have a sax that plays well spend your time practicing and listening to good players. If you are a newbie you already have your plate full learning about music and learning about playing the sax without worrying about set ups. Just to keep things in perspective a friend of mine bought a soprano that belonged to a very famous jazz musician. My friend said the horn was a dog so he resold it and kept the case because it had stickers from all around the world on it. There is also a flute player in a famous orchestra who has the first chair in the flute section and he played on a student model flute which pissed off the other players with their zillion dollar solid gold diamond studded flutes. Have fun, play music.

Reply To Post