Saxophone Forum

by Mike MN
(4 posts)
18 years ago

My Intro

I just joined this forum and thought I would share a brief into. My 11 year old son is joining band for the first time as an alto sax player so we are dusting off the old horns to ge them ready for fall band practice. I have a C.G.Conn satin silver tenor built in 1921. My Grandfather bought it almost new. He played it professionally for years. My father also played the same horn professionally. Add my two sisters, one brother and me to the player history. I also have a Buescher satin silver alto built in 1921. We all played it too. Plus, I have a Buescher satin silver C Melody built in 1923, and a Holton satin silver metal clarinet built in 1943. I plan on having all of these restored this summer and that's how I found this site. I'm glad to be here! Mike MN

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My Intro

Hello, and welcome!

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Hello, and welcome!

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

hello and welcom, sounds like a fine collection of good vintage horns, please keep them within your own travel space for repair in a good local tech, don't send them away.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

two things came to my mind about this thread. Those are great horns! And they really should be brought up to playing condition. When I was 11 I was REALLY hard on things and didn't understand that someone old needs to be taken care of. So Mike, I would really caution about letting your son use these horns for band, and for everyday use. Maybe buy a nice used entry level horn for pratice and save the old ones for concerts. You don't want him to bring it to school, drop it, scratch it, bend something, or a whole bunch of other things that can happen. just my .02 and where in mn are you?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by MavisDavis
        (21 posts)

18 years ago

definately. buy/rent a student horn at least for now. When I was 11, I would have definately destroyed any good horn. renting a bad one for now is definately worth it, especially because you don't have to buy a good one later!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by KingNecron
      (76 posts)

18 years ago

Shoot, I'm ten years older than your son and I'd probably _still_ do something bone-headed to mess horns that nice. These other folks are probably right--give him a few years. Maybe create some kind of elaborate ritual that goes with using the horns. : ) Keep us posted to how he does!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

You are wise beyond your years, grasshopper.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I like the idea of a ritual... Maybe have him listen to a whole kenny G cd when he wants to use it (or replace with other music he may not like)... and I'm 3 or 4 years older than you, but I'm a little better on things now!=) Besides, school band rooms are NOT the best places for nice horns. I'm sure you (KingNecron) can attest to this, even in college it was bad - but not as bad.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Mike MN
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you all for the advice! We do have a modern Yamaha that will "travel" to & from school ...BUT... these old horns have been through 3 generations of sax players. I am confident my son will respect them equally as did his Dad (me), 2 aunts, 1 uncle, his Grandpa and Great Grandpa. We haven't killed them yet!!! The most important thing is that he is interested and cherishes the idea of playing on family horns. His Mom works at the school so she'll probably be in charge of transportation. LOL! Besides, like my Mom said, it's better that they get played than to sit and rot in the attic. Mike By the way, I'm in Plymouth, MN. Any locals here? Please recommend someone other than Schmitt's for the resoration work. Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by Mike MN
            (4 posts)

18 years ago

R E S T O R A T I O N (Yeah, I can spell...) Mike

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'm over in downtown mpls. it's cool that your son knows the value of the horn, and I'm sure it's in good hands! sorry, but the only two recommendations I have got for repair work has been schmitts. Infact I'm taking my 10M and 6M to Bill at the one by southdale. He is freinds with the person I bought the horn from, who does repair in St Cloud. sorry I can't be more of a help than that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

My tech is Mark Kuklok, down in Owatana. He's a few miles from Plymoth, but I've always been happy with his work. (I live in St. James-he's a few miles from here, too!)

Reply To Post