Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

sax for college?

I'm a junior in high school who is planning on majoring in jazz studies in college. I'm looking for a good alto sax (already have a good tenor) to get me through college and won't cost too much. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: sax for college?

P. Mauriat

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

If I were in your situation, I would buy a new Yamaha YAS-82Z alto sax, and a Jody Jazz HR or Beechler Diamond mouthpiece. P. Mauriats are good intermediate horns, but if you plan on majoring in Jazz studies, go with the Yamaha. Sure, there are other great choices; Selmer, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth, or vintage. The Yamaha is a great value, and they are a proven dependable horn that should hold up to college playing conditions. For the price of a Selmer Reference 54. you could buy the Yamaha and a really nice vintage Conn 6M. The 6M's are great horns. They are also very dependable and they sound so sweet.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

"If I were in your situation, I would buy a new Yamaha YAS-82Z alto sax, and a Jody Jazz HR or Beechler Diamond mouthpiece. " I use a Beechler on my alto, though it was stuffy for the longest time - then I got softer reeds. Now it's like butter! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by tsax_player
        (76 posts)

18 years ago

I will definately agree with Jim here. I play a Z on alto and love it. It is a great horn for any style of music. As a jazz studies major (I finish my undergrad in jazz studies in Dec.) you will also play a ton of classical music. I find the Z handles both styles well. For my my jazz setup I play the G1 neck with a HR Berg 80 w/ rico jazz select 3.5. Then for classical M1 neck w/ vintage C* (not one of the questionable C*s Jim refers to in the other posts). It is what Joe Henderson used to play with the bulb on the end and the chamber is 1/2 round and 1/2 square, w/ Hemke 3.5. Probably more than you wanted to know. Long story short it is a pro horn that you can play the rest of your life and can spend under $2,400.00 on. Great investment!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

"not one of the questionable C*s Jim refers to in the other posts". Thank you for pointing that out. There are some decent Selmer C* mouthpieces. Although I find the C* to be a little too closed for my liking, the Larry Teal mouthpieces are great for classical. The Selmer Session mouthpieces are pretty good too. The mouthpiece that I was referring to that I feel should be taken off the market is the S-80 with the square chamber. This is because of the problems associated with the quare chamber, projection and intonation. Maybe I should have been more clear about that. If you have an S-80, throw it away! Other C*s....well, personally I would throw them in a drawer and probably never use them, but that's up to you!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by straightj23
          (103 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, but about the 82Z Yamaha, what style should I try? (gold lacquer, silver plate, black lacquer, or unlacquered)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It's really a matter of preference, but I really don't care for the unlacquered horns. The lacquer really doesn't effect the tone that much, and helps preserve the brass. I'm a little partial to the Silver plate myself.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Unlacquered=takes LOTS of care and the yamahas tend to tarnish very fast...

Reply To Post AIM

5. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

eh forgot to add in my 2 cents about the other two The gold laquer doesnt require as much care as the other 2, but after the laquer wears off it takes a lot of care. Also the laquer reduces the vibrations of the horn so one without laquer (silver / unlaqured) will be a bit louder. Silver takes a little more work to clean, but they can be kept looking nice forever. They tend to be brighter than the other

Reply To Post AIM

6. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

if you're on a budget, check out cannonball horns they run around two grand for thier pro models and they are delicious! you can get any finish combo imaginable, they have the traditional lacquered gold, and then an unlacquered, the black nickel, there's silver horns and even one thats a combination of black and silver. the different finishes all have an effect on the tone of the horn, a black nickel would be a little brighter with more projection than the unlacquered and the silver one would be almost shrill-like bright. its all about preference though. also if you have the money you can check out yanisagawas, i hear those are nice. and if you can maybe get a selmer but if you're going to be taking it to and fro with little time for care then its not such a great idea. i have a cannonball student model myself and i don't have much time to clean it after band because i need to get to class right after so there are some watermarks on the bell and stuff, just be diligent and set aside an hour every weekend for cleaning your horn maybe.

Reply To Post

7. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

18 years ago

You can also pick up a good used Selmer S80 I or II for around $2000 + or - a couple hundred. Very good classical horns, but the best solution to this dilemma is to go to a shop with several different brands and models and try them all and see which works well for you. Tell the shop your price range, they should be able to provide several different models in that range. I happen to prefer Selmers, I haven't played a horn yet that I like the sound of better, but that's not to say you'll like a different horn. As for the C* discussion, I'll leave that alone on this thread, I happen to disagree with Jim. selmerfan

Reply To Post