Saxophone Forum

by MavisDavis
(21 posts)
18 years ago

Reedology?

This was a podcast I read earlier, and since I dont' know how else to describe it, that's the title so, I want to know: how do I take care of my reeds? If I have a bad reed, how do I trim it and stuff to make it better? Equipment? Technique? thanks in advance -Matt

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reedology?

theres all kind of things you can do. if it doesnt speak down low, you can shave a little bit of the heart off with a knife and that may help. if it overall just not playing well, you can try soaking it overnight. but dry it out more or less. i store my reeds in a tupperware container with a moist sponge. **if you do this, wash them out every other day you will grow mold. when reeds start to get older and dont have enough puch, you can trim the tip off, you'll need a reed trimmer for that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by MavisDavis
      (21 posts)

18 years ago

what is the heart of the reed?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

If you hold the reed up to the light, it would be the darker part thats in the shape of a bullet. can't think of a easier way to explain it right now...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Larry Teal's 'The Art of Saxophone Playing' has a pretty comprehensive chapter about reeds.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

I'm lazy. If the reed doesn't play, I give it a wall test.

Reply To Post