Saxophone Forum

by BobT
(5 posts)
18 years ago

ARTIST Tenor Vintage Sax - who made it?

Hi, This is my first involvement in the discussion forum so I'd better introduce myself. Bob Taylor, played the sax for about 7 years - chose the instrument after being advised by my wife that she didn't like the sound of jazzvibes & should change instruments! (she's the real musician - teaches piano) Best thing I ever did - now play tenor mostly (Selmer II) but also alto (Yanni custom), Conn C-melody, & Bari (Selmer II). Sounds good but I still regard myself as a beginner, am self taught except for some lessons early on, and only perforn for the 'old folk' at a day centre & am just about to do some voluntary work at a centre for head injuries (music therapy). Thats enough of that! I decided, after getting the Conn sax to start maintaining my own saxes & thought the best way to learn was to get hold of an old one to use as an 'apprentice piece'. So I now have this old tenor sax that looks as though its been buried for 50 years! I've searched a lot of the vintage sax sites & can't find a clue as to its maker, and wondered if anyone on this group had come across a similar sax. It has the word ARTIST in capital letters on the front left of the horn, engraving which looks hand done to the front but doesn't have a definate pattern - looks like a tortoise shell! And further engraving on the back that looks like a coat of arms. The key work is basic like the Conn with the bottom G#/C#/B/Bb keys as flat and featureless as you can get and the bottom B/Bb pads are on the same side with a guard that seems larger than the vintage Selmers/Keilwerths. The neck opening (it hasn't got a crook) is significantly wider than my Selmer tenor. Thats not a lot to go on I know and I'm not going to obsess about its origins but it would be good to hear from anyone who has something similar. All the best, Bob

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Veronica1929
    (1 post)

4 years ago

Re: ARTIST Tenor Vintage Sax - who made it?

Hi Bob,

I  know it's been a long time since you posted this.  My Artist tenor is currently in the shop.  I wonder if you ever figured out who or where yours was made.

Thanks,

Veronica 

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Could be a buescher stencil, check the lyre holder and the octave mechanism. If it has 2 upright bars about 8mm apart it could be a buescher. Post a link to a picture Dave

Reply To Post

1. by BobT
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Dave - yes it does have the 2 upright bars. The seriel number I forgot to mention is 13786. Not quite sure about how to link to a picture as I don't maintain a website but have taken some and will try to work it out! Bob

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Had a look at the pics and its not a buescher stencil, its an european horn but i'm not too sure by who. I will trawl thru some pics and see if i can find the maker Dave

Reply To Post

1. by BobT
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

Something that I've noticed & not sure if it can be picked up by the pics but the mechanism for operating the octave key seems to work in reverse to my other saxes i.e. press the octave key & the the mechanism that meshes with the crook assembly moves INWARDS instead of OUTWARDS. As I don't have a crook its difficult to see how it would work but the mechanism itself seems to work effectively. So it might point to a sax manufacturer that used a different style of crook design? Bob

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

That would be for an underslung octave neck Dave

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

The underslug octave key suggests it is a Conn. Does it hane an engraved portrait of a woman? If so, it would be the Conn Artist Series, affectionately known as the "Naked Lady." Should be a great horn--but you'll need a neck.

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Its not conn made its an european horn Dave

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

My old sax repairman in NYC had a couple of horns with keywork that looked like Conns, but they were made in the Czech Republic. Conns once had a great reputation in Europe, and so some makers there made saxophones based on the Conn design. Think of Kielwerth with rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Huller is one European (German) horn maker who in the 1930's was well known for copying much of Conn's keywork, rolled tone holes and other design features. If Dave Dix is helping you identify your horn, you are in good hands: he is a die hard vintage horn collector like myself, and being located in the U.K has access to more of the European makes/models and resources. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
            (421 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks saxismyaxe, though i do collect vintage pro horns i am a pro player mainly and only collect the best of the vintage horns. Huller was the make i was thinking about as they did copy the early conns. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by BobT
            (5 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Dave. Apologies for not replying earlier - I read the recent posts as they came in. But I thought it would be useful to post some decent pics and have finally suceeded in posting them to

Reply To Post

3. by BobT
            (5 posts)

18 years ago

For some reason when you click on the web address it comes up with a double hyphen at the end that needs to be deleted first. I'll try it again here

Reply To Post