Saxophone Forum

by SaxyQue
(13 posts)
18 years ago

SHOWSTYLE or CORESTYLE who reins over the competition?!

Which do you prefer? Which would you rather watch? Which would you rather march in? What is your opinion on either of them? Ups or Downs with their techniques? And... Which have you marched for and where?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: SHOWSTYLE or CORESTYLE who reins over the competition?!

I believe you mean CORPSTYLE! Personally though, I prefer the Military Style. We do some Corp style stuff, but always with a high step. Marched trumpet for Ohio State, which was a military style, and really nice. We played lots of marches, plus the best of jazz, swing, rock, and the blues etc. And on occaision we got into a bit of hip hop and techno, etc I marched in a show band in high school, and the best way to describe most show bands is "Diet Military Style" They are fun to watch, but Militsry style take it to a whole new level. And for the record, I personally think Corps style is bloody boring!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

18 years ago

Corps style bloody boring? Are you referring to the corps style as in great drum and bugle corps like Santa Clara Vanguard, Chicago Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment?

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
        (50 posts)

18 years ago

I love em both! I've marched sax in my HS marching band and I love it, it's the best experience in my life. I haven't yet marched corp, but I will when I get out of high school. (as a battery member) as I don't think I could handle both at once. I cant really choose, they both rock my world, just in different ways. And Mac, you forgot the Madison Scouts! Hehe

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

Little Marching One I see that you are from Wisconson. I apologize for not mentioning the great Wisconsin Corps such as Madison Scouts, Racine Kilties and many more. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

2. by SaxyQue
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

LoL... yes! Please excuse me with my TYPO... perhaps Saxquest should opp for SpELL ChECK. But any who... I feel you on that. I live in a military town and I've witnessed the military bands we have here, but I've not marched with one. So I wouldn't know. I personally did ShowStyle.. it was big for our band when we switched from 'CORP' back in 1998. Our transition was a little rocky at first, but it took our band from a 50 piece struggling band, to a wopping 140 in 2004. Which was a huge step for us. Luckily for our band we had our chance for new uniforms so we were able to accomidate... but we were short by almost 50 uniforms and started marching in just Embroidered Sweats for the Drum Line and Tuba Line. I have to say I might had been a traider back in HS.. because I marched sousaphone for my last 3 years and my senior year I was able to recrute 12 of us and taught 5 from scratch how to play by myself. So I think I did a wonderful job. I loved it mostly because MY line got to show off the most... lol. Mad fun. But those days are over with. I'm not saying I knock the 'C' style, I have sat down and watched, and I do have to say I admire their emphasis on actual music composition. With the show... we usually made up MOST of our music and our dances and our shows from scratch. We never ordered anything and at times would have about 4 diff shows to march in one season because we just did things our way. MAD fun MAD cool. Thanks guys on your thoughts... I want to hear more. *check out my community profile, see my pic*

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by thelittlemarchingone
          (50 posts)

18 years ago

Wow, that all sounds really amazing! 12 sousa players... I cant even IMAGINE that! I'm very excited for my upcoming marching season, as it's a HUGE change from the past. This year our marching band is not marching any clarinet or flute players, only sax players. We're the main part of the show. The 6 flute players we had are marching alto sax, and the one clarinet player we have left is marching bari sax. (11 of us all together - 6 altos, 3 tenors, 2 baris) Our show this year is a 7-piece jazz suite that my band director wrote/arranged, and it's really awesome music. I may be biased being a jazz tenor player, but I love it! I feel incredibly proud to be a part of it, as the show in every aspect is very innovative and shows so much potential and promise to be another amazing show. It's been fun helping the flute/clarinet players learn saxophone, they've only been playing about a week and half now but they're picking up so quick, that we're going to be able to be an awesome section that plays good jazz on the field. It's really amazing to see them start from scratch with a new instrument, and be able to help them learn it. When the staff of our band decided to make this change, a lot of people were kinda skeptical, but now that it's really coming together people are starting to see how amazing this is really going to be. If I had a choice of doing corp, or something like this for the rest of my marching career, I'd do this. No matter how much I love to do marching percussion, at heart I'm a tenor sax player who loves to play jazz, and this is a great chance for us to shine as a section.

Reply To Post