Saxophone Forum

by selmerfan
(67 posts)
18 years ago

Anybody else using Reference 54 alto for legit playing?

Just curious if I'm the only one who prefers the Reference alto to the S80 horns for legit playing? I sold my Serie III and Mark VI cause I think the Reference does jazz AND legit as well or better than the other two, and then I'm only playing one horn and adjusting to one horn's tendencies. selmerfan PS I'm using a modified Serie III neck for legit, modified Reference neck for jazz.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Rachael
    (13 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Anybody else using Reference 54 alto for legit playing?

I currently studying saxophone at a University, and I am using a reference 54...I think it mostly depends on what the player likes and feels most comfortable using....but I personally also prefer the reference.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by JonHuff
      (117 posts)

18 years ago

I'm right there with you. Mouthpiece plays a big part obviously, but the 54 can be a great classical horn.

Reply To Post

2. by nchilds33
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

im there with ya, i play a ref. 54 for legit. its an amazing horn for both genres

Reply To Post

3. by Conclave
    (45 posts)

17 years ago

I sold my VI because I wanted a high F# and bought a Ref54. Sounds fine to me. Could of bought a Series III, but I wanted something closer to what I was giving up.

Reply To Post

1. by AHoffert
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

does anyone have any recordings of classical music on the reference 54 or anything besides jazz music?

Reply To Post

1. by AHoffert
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

(By this i mean on alto)

Reply To Post