Saxophone Forum

by motteatoj
(5 posts)
9 years ago

Vintage Bari Pro model for 'beginner' - what's the best for the $

Hi, 

I am a trumpet player that has been noodling around on a student level tenor.
I really want a bari sax though.
I collect vintage trumpets and like the vintage look vs. new horns.
I would like to buy a low A vintage model bari, and go directly with a pro model, but certainly don't need anyting like a Selmer, etc.

So, what are the models I should look for that I should be able to get for $2000 or so (or lower) that would fit the bill?  

What should I stay away from?

What online dealers are good or I should steer clear of? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Vintage Bari Pro model for 'beginner' - what's the best for the $

Its going to be difficult to find a good vintage low A bari set up in good playing condition for $2000 or less. In fact, it will be difficult to find any bari in good playing condition for that price.
         The saxophone world is different than the trumpet world in that repairs are much more expensive. Saxophone have lots of moving parts and there are many way to damage them, especially baris. A full professional overhaul on a bari can run anywhere from $1000-$1500. So a lot of what you're paying for when buying a bari sax is the cost of getting it up and running. If you can stretch into the $3k price range, you'll have many more options available to you.
         That being said, look for Couf, King Tempo, SML, Welktlang, all as good affordable low A bari saxes. However, be wary of eBay or anytime buying a bari that has not gone through a competent shop. Some good saxophone dealers to consider are Saxquest, Tenor Madness, PM Woodwinds, and Sax Alley. Best of Luck!!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post