Saxophone Forum

by Mactenor
(102 posts)
18 years ago

My Vintage Sound

I have five vintage tenors and a new Ref 36, and believe me when i tell you that they are all Great Horns.The vintage sound that I get on these horns is "physiologically ordained" , I cannot change that. While it is not exactly the sound that I have in my head, sometimes it gets close and what a great feeling that is. I have tried many setups, and most of them work pretty good with a little patience and effort, but I have finally found the setup that matches the sound in my head and I couldn't be happier if I solved the Da Vinci Code before Tom Hanks. For me, it is a vintage Brilhart Tonalin .100 mouthpiece, I believe from the '50s, it has a serial # 13XXX, a FL # 3 reed and a FL ligature. The sound is really smooth and fat, I love this sound, it just flows. Good combination........ Vintage Tenor........... Vintage Mouthpiece............ and Vintage Guy ( I'm 68 ). Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My Vintage Sound

Stay happy!!!!! That is very important, :) Somrtimes I get so high when I practice, that I want to leave the ground. I feel like i can't get high enough to satisfy myself. I always wish that someone was there to hear it. If someone is at my crib when I'm playing, I tell them to rip me to shreds about how i sound. I tell he or she to tell everything that they don't like about what I'm playing. Sometimes I'm so high I need someone to bring me back to earth. Sounds like you enjoy your music :) Keep up the good work !!!! Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

18 years ago

When I pop my Meyer 5 onto my Conn, and then blow my first notes, what I hear instantly inspires me to play more. The sound of that old horn just fills the whole space I'm in and spills out all around and beyond me, so I can relate to how you feel. jamterry, even when you don't know it, there is always someone who hears you. You may not know how many times, when you're playing, that someone is passing by, wondering where that music is coming from, or who might be making it. Still, they hear it, and sometimes those sounds wafting in the air can make that part of a person's day. Mac, it's good to know that you are still playing and enjoying it, because ultimately, that's what it's about. I am 55, and I'll keep playing as long as I have any breath left. It makes no difference to me whether or not doing this will bring me financial reward, or the admiration of many people. It's something I guess most of us here feel we must do, and that's a great thing, because we can bring something beautiful to this world.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
        (57 posts)

17 years ago

I think I'm the young'n in here, but man, I know the feeling. I wouldn't call it a vintage sound, but after throwing my Link STM 7* onto my silver Selmer SA80 III, it just feels good. It's pliable and agile, and moves from a soft, husky whisper to a banshee's wail. I love the vintage sounds, but I'm not a vintage guy yet, and I can't help but contemporize. Not necessarily the music itself, but the timbre mannerism. Love out to Bird, Trane, and Wayne.

Reply To Post AIM