Saxophone Forum

by skyfreak
(5 posts)
18 years ago

JodyJazz Tenor DV NY

I just received my JJ DV NY, and it has surpassed my imagination of how good it could be! It blows easy with great articulation. The sound is fat but not too edgy, rich with harmonics. For me, it is the perfect balance of warmth and brightness. My overtone-matching exercise I warm-up with has never been easier, and playing in the altissimo register is effortless. I highly recommend giving these pieces a try...they even have a free trial (no re-stocking fee). What are some of the opinions of others who have tried these? I imagine they don't get too many of them back after the trial... SF

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

18 years ago

Re: JodyJazz Tenor DV NY

I agree, it is a quality mouthpiece, more resistance than the DV. I loved the response and playing ease of the DV, but it was just too bright, not my sound. The DV NY is the best playing metal mouthpiece that I have found, . Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

I REALLY WANTED to like this mouthpiece, but it just didn't do what I wanted it to do, plus the altissimo range didn't have the stability I was looking for. I spoke to Jody Espina, and he suggested different reed/ligature combinations, but nothing I tried got it dialed-in to my satisfaction. I'll probably sell it on eBay. Of course, he has lots of quality stuff available (I keep one of his HR 7* tenor mouthpieces as a backup for my vintage Dukoff).

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Saxman, I think altissimo control is more by the player and not the mouthpiece...it's not a simple cure by switching to another mouthpiece. Mouthpieces might play a tiny roll in it but not much IMO...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

18 years ago

I agree that altissimo control is more by the player and not the mouthpiece--I for one have excellent altissimo control (not trying to brag, but I can scream like Sanborn on a C* because my fundamentals are solid)--that's been my bread and butter for the past 17 years . . . that being said, the DV is a mouthpiece with a high baffle, which in theory should make the altissimo range easier (with certain trade-offs) . . . with the exception of the DV, I've been able to pull off altissimo stuff with relative ease on all the baffled mouthpieces I've tried with no problems at all . . . the DV just wasn't stable (of course, I could have just gotten a bad piece, but for $500, you'd expect them to be fairly consistent from piece to piece). I know a number of my fellow pros out here in the L.A. area that just don't like the DV. A number of us who actually bought them are going back to our old pieces, and have either sold or traded our DVs (I'll likely put mine up on eBay sometime in the next month or so).

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

But I wonder if one stayed on a mouthpiece and practiced it long enough altissimo would be easier? :P But I didn't really like the DV a whole lot either...I still have it and play on it but not as much as my RPC, and it was half the price!...I plan on ordering another, brighter RPC soon and if I like it more than the DV I'm probably selling the DV to my friend haha. Interested in trying a beechler metal too though :-) But that will have to wait till I can go back to Dallas...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by mttsaxman
        (16 posts)

18 years ago

The pieces he sent me were crap. I wrote him trying to get some help with different reed/lig setups, etc and he called me. He was very rude and arrogant. He did refund my money, but I found his demeanor very unprofessional.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

What was wrong with them? When I got a DV it was in perfect condition.

Reply To Post AIM