Saxophone Forum

by KTownSaxMajor
(4 posts)
18 years ago

I Need Help Choosing A New Ligature

I play a Selmer Paris Series III Alto, with a C* mouthpiece. Right now I'm playing on a Rovner Dark ligature, but I'm looking for something new. I'm a classical player. Any suggestions or reviews on ligatures that might work?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I Need Help Choosing A New Ligature

Since you're a legit player, check out the BG Tradition ligature. Others you could try would be the Brancher or the Olegature (these are opposite ends of the spectrum--the Brancher is more vibrant, and the Olegature is more compressed). The Bonade is also a good bet. All of these will be more vibrant than your Rovner which deadens the vibrations of the mouthpiece too much for my taste. One of my colleagues in the legit world has been using a Fortissimo ligature of late, and swears by it. In a perfect world, I would recommend a Winslow, but unfortunately they aren't made anymore (unless you find one on eBay that fits your mouthpiece).

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Well I use a Van Masters (about 20 bucks) My legit teacher used a Bay Lig, which I had been thinking about buying. I just bought a Van Optimum Lig for my Clarinet and I got the cap and lig for 45, a super deal for that setup. I don't know if I would recommend it at full price but I can tell you it is smoken good looking, though I worry about the Silver Plated Cap smudging alot. I think I would look dorky polishing my Mpc cap. As far a use it comes with 3 plates that really smach down the reed, I have never owned a BG but I it's a similar design but silver.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

"I think I would look dorky polishing my Mpc cap." Then polish it at home, where no one can se you!!! Or, you can stop worrying about how you look, and if anyone says anything, just reply, "Well, I like the shine better than the fingerprints!"

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

What do you think about this Saxman?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

the bg taditionals are great(just reiterating) and the ultimate ligs work well, thats what i use. they are generall more popular with jazz, but i like it a lot classically. iuse one on both alto and bari

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by brecker|turrentine
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

i play on a van optimum (the bad part was i got it when it first came out with the cap for 98$), and i think its amazing. You really dont realize how much of a difference the lig makes until you try a really good one. The only downside is that the 4 plates..."tone plates" are usless and you should really just stick with one.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

I respectfully disagree. Although I may get some flak from it, I really don't think the ligature makes a whole lot of difference as long as it holds the reed well. Save your money for lessons. Less shopping, more playing!

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I agree francis. I've tried a Francois Louis lig on my RPC but I keep going back to the standard 2 screw=)

Reply To Post AIM