Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(4 posts)
18 years ago

53 6M with little lacquer and missing the Eb key guard

Hi, does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not to relacquer a gold colored 6M - also where a person could purchase a vintage key guard like the one I am missing? Thanks for your input! Carol G.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 53 6M with little lacquer and missing the Eb key guard

First question, why are you considering a relaquer? Some people here can fabricate some of the parts, but you might be able to obtain one from a horn not worth fixing. Tough to find someone who has one they'd be willing to take parts off of, though.

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it. I have a gentleman technician who has been repairing and fabricating parts in his shop since before wwII! He worked as an apprentice for the Haynes shop and then for the Sylvas, father and son, but anyway, he has come back to this work in his retirement from being a physics teacher - he totally agrees with both Donna and Saxmom that relacquering is not a smart idea and so, I am gratefully following all of your advise on the matter. Best regards, Carol G.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

18 years ago

Replacing the key guard would be good. Ask some bigger/older repair shops if they can help with the part. Re-lacquering the horn - not so good. While lacquer was originally designed to protect the brass, a re-lacquer job could hurt the sound of a horn. I believe if done properly, it does not have to, but it sure seems to hurt the value, in any case. Remember, good looks does not equal better sound. Good Luck.

Reply To Post