Saxophone Forum

by Tenorlysaxyjazzguy
(23 posts)
17 years ago

jazz mouth piece for Shadow

I have been playing my 10m for 2 years and have loved every second of playing it, especially with my classic otto link metal mouthpiece, but I have recently aguired a new Keilwerth Shadow and was wonding what if anyone knew what kind of jazz mouthpiece agrees with this instrument, (or at least a moderate guess of what would sound good) dont get me wrong, it sounds great just with the mouthpiece it came with, but it can sound better, I just feel restriced by the one that came with it. Can anyone help me out? Any recomendations? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: jazz mouth piece for Shadow

Check your tone holes for warps. That will sap your sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

A friend with that brand of horn plays a new Springer hard rubber piece now and sounds really good. Of course he sounded good on his old piece as well - Link, I think. This Keilwerth makes his sound somewhat darker than the Yamaha he traded in. I think they make Yamahas with hard brass for a brighter sound. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Tenorlysaxyjazzguy
      (23 posts)

17 years ago

yeah there isn't a problem with the horn, its just I never have liked the sound of those cheap mouth pieces they come with so im looking to get a new one. thanks, i'll look into Springer mouth pieces!

Reply To Post

1. by shadowsax
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

For my shadow, I use a Phil Barone Jazz Tenor Sax Mouthpiece, it has the biggest chamber of the Phil Barone's and sounds extemely meaty. I love it, and so have the listeners! Make sure to get a good ligature for it, maybe a BG Super Revelation Ligature.

Reply To Post