Saxophone Forum

by bleeding gums
(18 posts)
17 years ago

Getzen saxophone?

My friend recently aquired a Getzen tenor from a pawn shop. From what I can find Getzen seems to be a primarily brass manufacturer that doesn't currently make saxophones. I also read about a big factory fire in the 50's. Maybe they didn't continue making saxophones after this? I heard that some Getzen sax's might be stenciled conns but it doesn't have any telltale conn signs (filed G#, mercedes style keyguard). Anyone know anything about this?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Getzen saxophone?

Take a look at our site for some info on the Stencils branded as Getzen horns: www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2680

Reply To Post

2. by piper
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Getzen saxophone?

I have one that was made in "ELKHORN, WIS" it has a nice leaf & shield design branding the name ELKHORN A DIVISION OF GETZEN. From what ive been able to track saxs is with serial numbers. problem is Elkhorn numbers burned in the fire which leaves the getzen company no record of their saxs which they don't make anymore. I guess the older the better if you got one, i got serial number 8400. What number do you have?

Reply To Post