Saxophone Forum

by hsk9146
(8 posts)
17 years ago

about vintage saxes

I'm starting to learn how to play the alto sax, and i want to buy a descent vintage horn that is suitable for jazz. could you make me a list of which ones are great for jazz and which ones are not? I'm thinking about buying a 1938 Martin Committee, but I don't know much about horns so I don't know if it'll be good for jazz. P.s. my price limit is $1500

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

17 years ago

Re: about vintage saxes

Martin committee is a good choice or a conn 6m. Most vintage horns are good for jazz, just listen to the old recordings Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Be careful, though, what is labeled "vintage." I saw an E. M. Winston labeled as vintage, and that company is not old enough to have produced vintage horns! (Although I do like the E. M. Winston's with which I've had experience.) Some people use the word "vintage" to mean, "It's old and it doesn't work, but, hey, it's an antique!" Try before you buy if at all possible. Even some of the "student line" saxophones are good for jazz, if you take for example the pre-1970 Conn 16M (tenor). Good luck in your search.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

HSK- Under the section titled Welcome To Saxquest there is a discussion titled Best Sax. There is a list by Saxyboy ranking the vintage horns that is pretty close to the truth and another good list that doesn't attempt to rank them. Please refer to these for a good answer to your question. As others have said - listen to a lot of old jazz recordings. And get a private instructor - this is a must! - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Christian Anderson
    (73 posts)

17 years ago

Vintage Conns are great for Jazz, Both the late chu's and 6M's could be found for a decent price, and have a nice broad jazzy sound. The mouthpeice will have a large impact on how it functions for jazz.

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

The best vintage saxes for jazz are(drum roll and cymbal crash) The Martin Committee, and later The Martin models(Art Pepper) Conn NewWonder(also known as the Chu Berry model) 6M, 26M Connqueror Buescher Aristocrat(just listen to Johnny Hodges to hear that horn) 400 Top Hat & Cane King Zephyr and Super 20(Charlie Parker and Cannonball Adderley) Selmer Balanced Action, Super Balanced Action and Mark VI (Overpriced IMHO) For $1500 you should be able to find a good vinatge horn. Check the reputable vintage sax web sites. This one, and vintagesax.com, junkdude.com, worldwidesax.com, are among the better ones. Personally, I highly recommend Martin Committee models, because they are simply awesome sounding horns. Try this web site for information about Martin saxophones. www.themartinstory.net It gives alot of information about all of The Martin models, with photos. The best of them are the saxophones with The Martin Alto on the bell. Beautiful looking, killer tone, and better ergonomics than other vintage horns aside from Selmer and King Super 20.

Reply To Post