Saxophone Forum

by Goldref18
(145 posts)
19 years ago

Legit Tenor Orchestration

I am a junior in high school now and i got the tenor spot in the most select legit group out here on the island. The thing i was wondering is how come when we play legit music and some contemporary stuff i usually end up with parts that most resemble tenor trombone and baritone horn instead of like the altos or trumpets? Is this maybe because this music wasn't written during the tenor sax era and since it is relatively close to trombone they just basically wrote tenor parts based of similar instruments? Anyone who knows, take the mic.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Legit Tenor Orchestration

Any ideas? i have also noted that a lot of the time the altos and french horns play very similar parts

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by PsuSax
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

It's totally related to the range and projection of the instrument. Altos sound best in their mid-upper range so they usually get scored with clarinets, trumpets, and high horns. Tenors sound better in their mid range so they get scored with low horn parts, low trumpet parts, and a whole heck of trombone/bassoon/bass clarinet/euphonium. It doesn't have anything to do with the era the piece was written, it's just a conscious deciscion made by the composer and or the editor/arranger (especially if it is a transcription of an orchestral work).

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by PsuSax
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

Don't regard this is as the bible truth of orchestration though. Just when you try to prove it, you'll find exceptions. For example I've played a piece where you have a piccolo, tenor sax, Eb clarinet, and muted trumpets all playing thge melody together.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Ah good advice thanks.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM