Saxophone Forum

by Tdove
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Martin Tenor Saxophone

I was curious about a Martin I was looking into buying. It is off E-bay and the seller doesn't know much about the horn. It's listed as a Martin Tenor. The pictures are pretty bad so I can't get that much detail. It does appear to be in decent condition, no dents or anything, he says the cork and pads are decent but may need to be looked at. The Serial number is 26689and it has a silver finish. On the Bell is engraved "The Martin Elkhart Indiana." Does anyone know anything about this horn? What year is it? Is it a Tenor or C Melody? I can't tell from the pics, but the bell looks like it doesn't come as high as C Melody saxs I've seen, so perhaps it is a B flat Tenor. Where can I find a good source for vintage sax serial numbers? Every site I look through never has any serial numbers from saxs I'm looking to buy. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Martin Tenor Saxophone

sorry i can't help. I'm updating this post because i have a question, but please don't forget to help this member above me if you think you can help. I found a Martin tenor i can get for free. would i be taking too much a risk if i overhauled this sax? I ask, because i hear that some sound great, while others don't

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

could you give me more information on the martin? I love my martin and I've made it a bit of a hobby to know some stuff about them.

Reply To Post

2. by saxHog
    (28 posts)

19 years ago

Your Martin is from the 20's, early, maybe '21 or '22. Ask the person selling it to measure the length of the horn without the neck. C-mel approx 24", Tenor approx 29". Saxgourmet.com, Steve Goodson's site has serial #'s. I own Martin alto's, c-mels,tenor's and Bari's. I've only got the alto's and tenor's playing at this time and I like their sound.

Reply To Post

1. by brace_face
      (43 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post