Saxophone Forum

by Backinthesaxxleagain
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Conn 6m Alto

Can you tell me anything about a Conn 6m nickle plated in very good condition, Serial #269xxx, was the nickle plating aftermarket or done in the factory? What would a horn like this be worth, what would be the ideal setup with mouthpiece and reed? Would a good condition 6M, 1953 354763 be a close instrument quality and value wise. Would there be much difference in the tone. I am starting to build my collection and wondered which direction would be better to go since I am potentially buying these sight unseen and plan on adding a 6m to my collection. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn 6m Alto

Having bought a few saxophones on ebay, I can make a couple suggestions. First, ask lots of questions; like, how long has the seller owned the horn and if they play, if they have ever had the horn repaired and to what extent (pads, relacquered, etc), if the horn is playable, if there are any dings or dents, and get the serial number and any numbers on the back of the horn; patent numbers, letters (A=alto, T=tenor, C=C melody, S=soprano, L=low pitch) model number, etc. Most 6M's have an underslung neck (octave key mounted on the bottom of the neck) Most 6M's made up through 1953 also have a microtuner on the neck. The earlier 6M's; including some of the later transitional models with rolled tone holes, are more valuable and tend to have a warmer tone while the later models made after 1947 had better intonation and were a little brighter sounding. The Naked Ladies are cool! The first horn that you mentioned is probably silver plated, not nickel. The serial number (269XXX) would indicate that this horn was made in 1935. This is one of the earlier 6M's and would have rolled tone holes. As far as investment value, the first one would be worth more (in equal condition, of course). I do think that the 1953 model would probably be the better player of the 2 and if you plan to gig with the horn, I'd say go with the later model. If you buy a vintage horn off ebay, plan on putting at least a couple hundred dollars into repairs to freshen it up. You may need a couple pads, a cork replaced, or an adjustment, or possibly more. Take that into consideration when bidding, and good luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Backinthesaxxleagain
      (15 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn 6m Alto

Thanks for the response. Whatever forum post, I have visited on the various categories. I always look for your post. I appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge. Thanks Connsaxman Jim

Reply To Post