Saxophone Forum

by anbrown520
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Recently was given an older c g conn saxophone

i was recently given a few instruments among them is a C.G. conn saxophone. I tried to do some research to find out some info so I can see what It’s worth. Here are some pictures, if anyone could help I’d really appreciate it. Thanks! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Recently was given an older c g conn saxophone

It is missing a neck.

100 dollars parts piece.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by anbrown520
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Oh my goodness, I forgot to put it Together haha heres another pic, I have the mouth piece part too it’s just a little snug so I don’t wanna put it together and not be able to get it apart properly. Sorry for the confusion!

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

These Conn altos are wonderful horns when set up correctly.

From around 1927-28.

Their sound is simply legendary.

They are very common. Expect to put about 500 bucks into it.

You can find parts and beat up ones pretty cheaply.

Make sure who works on it is familiar with vintage saxophones and issues sitting around for 80 plus years can cause. Like fused not moving rollers, the minute pivot lock screws, 6 of them needing removed to refurbish it. They are easily replaced, but a bear if they are rusted in and hard to remove. The tuning mechanism in itself gets a good cleaning and repacking with white grease with the correct technician on the job. A correctly sized set of Conn reso pads for the rolled tone holes. The correct size pad fits extremely tight and does not use any adhesive. A nice hand polishing is always part of it, but not necessary. It will play just as wonderful in its grey color.

Nicely playing, the value is in the 1000 range.

If you are selling it as is, 450 to 650 is where it would usually end on an Ebay auction.

It is all about condition. Dents and badly done resolders change the numbers pretty quickly.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good Luck

Reply To Post