Saxophone Forum

by JacsMom
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Vintage 1922-1923 Saxophone

Have this Buescher Elkhart Ind brand vintage saxophone. Is missing one bottom key arm and mouthpiece. The body of the saxophone is in great condition. I dont know if it is still functional or not. It says 103049 Low Pitch pat Dec 8, 1914 True Tone trademark registered. Has Buescher Elkhart Ind framed by a ribbon. Original case with functional locks. No dents or dings. Serial number says it was manufactured in 1922-1923...I would like to know how much its possibly worth??? And who to or where I can sell it??? I'm in watonga Oklahoma. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Vintage 1922-1923 Saxophone

I do not see anything missing. You may need to be a bit more specific.

If you are talking about the screw hole, that was where a music holder (lyre) could be attached. They are usually missing, there are replacements, and nobody uses them anyway.

The mouthpiece missing also is not a big deal. Most players already have one. If not, a more recent piece is usually desired, rather than the original one.

If it is a B flat soprano, it is a 1,200 dollar or more instrument in playing condition.

If it is a key of C, probably a bit less, because music is not written for them today. It is keyed the same as a piano or violin.

I use to do a lot of pre setup work for Cybersax who was in Tulsa. I would then ship horns back to the owner of Cybersax and he would do his wonderful silky setup. I still use a number of his "secrets" myself.

That was 12 years ago now. Wow.

Saxquest in St Louis.

Tenor Madnes is Waterloo Iowa.

PM Winds in Chicago

Those are who use to compete with Cybersax.

https://pmwoodwind.com/product/buescher-4/

Here is an overpriced example at PM winds.

He is evidently in no hurry to sell it.

I myself live in Cincinnati.

This is the type of work I do in my leisure time now.

Expect it to cost at least 500 bucks to get it all clean and playing nicely.

If I saw this locally, Id pay up to 400 bucks for it as is. Put my time and effort into it, the 500 bucks or more you pay a retailer, and Then I would  have a 1200 dollar horn in the 900 range.

My nitch is I dont have to pay myself labor and I dont do it to pay rent or employees.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by JacsMom
      (2 posts)

4 years ago

Thank u so much for ur feedback. I play clarinet actually. But as soon as I read what u said it was the screw hole...I felt so dumb. Bc I remembered. Lol ok um so how do u know if it's a C key or B flat??? 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

The C is shorter.

Many players confuse them with a sopranino that is MUCH smaller and keyed in
        Eflat.

Just measure it, post the length her,e and someone will let you know.

I dont know off hand the length of the Bflat, but I can measure mine when I get home.

Reply To Post