Saxophone Forum

by JazzMan1234
(8 posts)
18 years ago

I feel like my mouthpiece setup is holding me back.

I play a stock meyer 7 mouthpiece with Java v16 size 3 1/2 reeds on my mark six alto, and i feel like the setup is not produceing a loud enough sound for how hard i'm blowing so I have too little of a dynamic range, any suggestions for a better setup, reeds or mouthpiece or both?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I feel like my mouthpiece setup is holding me back.

softer reed

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Err....softer reed=easier to play + quieter... Meyers are decent, but I like using a A35 Vandoren Java mouthpiece with a 3 Java reed. Its really loud with a bit of edge.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

Personally I play alot with amped instruments and for me what works is a Meyer 5ms with a strength 3 Zonda reed. I do tend to play hard and this set-up has been good for me.

Reply To Post

2. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

Personally I play alot with amped instruments and for me what works is a Meyer 5ms with a strength 3 Zonda reed. I do tend to play hard and this set-up has been good for me.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

for me, the new myers, as they come, just dont do it for me. they have no balls to put it one way, especially compared to the vi. if you like the feel of the mouthpiece you can send it in to get the tip opened and possibly have the guts ripped out. then it will absolutely scream. or you may want to look into a whole new piece. i would say, look at a vintage myer brothers, if you have the cash. if you want modern, the jody jazz pieces can scream

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

I'm with Yani on this one- try a softer reed. A 7 is a 70 tip opening and 31/2 could be just too much. (too hard=too hard to blow and no edge) Do you like the Meyer sound or do you have something else in mind? Do you have to compete with a heavy brass section? With a little more info the solution would be easier to find.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

yes count, a harder reed can get more volume, but not if the piece is to open that it creates more work. I have a Runyon smoothbore 9 I pay on alto sometimes, waaaaaay more volume on it with a 2 or 2.5, as oppoesed to the 4s i use often on alto

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
            (421 posts)

18 years ago

1st thing is to use a reed strength you can play the whole horn with ease ,including sub-tone. If you want to play altissimo you will most probably need to go up a bit in strength but this can effect the bottom end, too soft and it can effect the top. 2nd go to a shop and try a few mpc's out and find what suits your playing. Dont look at the make just try them all out. Volume is not everything, tone and control is. In the 70's i used a 130/0 metal berg with 5 rico's and used to blow the walls down and was in demand by many bands but no one noticed i never sub-toned and all the bell notes i honked as the set up was too hard (i bluffed my way with altissimo!!) It took a long time to realise this was not the way to go Dave

Reply To Post