Saxophone Forum

by n0p
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Rcok Mouthpiece

What kind of mouthpiece is preferred for Rock? I usually play a Berg Larsen 110 1 SMS with a Rico Select Jazz 2H, which is a great combination for Jazz but not for Rock. I tried a Francois Louis ligature to open up my sound, but I still don't get the sound I'm looking for, which is more open and metallic. Does replacing the mouthpiece will give me a Rock-ish sound? If so, what kind of mouthpiece would you suggest? Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Rcok Mouthpiece

try a runyon quantum

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by n0p
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

What is the difference between the Facings? What Facing is recommended for Rock (#4 - #12)?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

for most players, a 7 - 8 facing is good

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by peter090
      (155 posts)

18 years ago

If you like the berg and are just looking for more edge you might want to consider a berg 110/0.

Reply To Post

3. by n0p
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

Do you thing that Dukoff will be suitable? If so, what model?

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

It might hurt your pocketbook, but it's TRULY worth it. Lamberson 8DD. (Frankly, I can't understand why the Berg doesn't do it. They're usually great rock pieces.)

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Rock sweet :) Most rock uses very bright loud mouthpieces to cut through. Runyons are decent, Dukoffs are pretty good (look up david sanborn if you wanna hear his) except the quality of those mouthpieces tend to be bad, and facings a little off. Also if your embrochur(cant spell) isn't strong enough you'll squeak. Or if your willing to spend a little bit more money, I bought a Brancher "B" chamber, with Brancher Jazz reeds (I use size 21 with 3 brancher reeds) its very loud, and very bright (just like dukoff except easier to play) and it comes with a good ligature :D. I've heard B.L.s have gotten worse now days...but I've never tried them before. But just incase, I have a really good mouthpiece I use its not rockish though, its a little darker but has some edge to it, but its probably the loudest mouthpiece I know of, way louder than meyer, ottolink, vandoren, selmer, etc. Its a "Beechler Diamond Inlay" (M6S with 2.5 java reeds).

Reply To Post AIM