Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Otto link and Yanagisawa

I was looking for some mouthpieces to try, and our music store doesnt have ANYTHING for alto. Does anyone have any experience and can tell me what the Yanagisawa Metal mouthpiece or Otto Link Metal is like? I have a beechler diamond inlay and a dukoff right now. Main think I want to know if you can do scoops well on them and are they loud?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Otto link and Yanagisawa

for alto, the yanis and the links a re far too bright. in fact, i wouldnt go metal at all on alto, a couple companies have made some that werent as bright, but as a whole, they are, especiallyu those two. look at jody jazz, meyer (prefebly vintage), and old brilharts (tonalins)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

Way too bright? I do want something with some edge to it. I have a dukoff and a brancher B which are like one of the brighest mouthpieces. I just want to know what those two are like. Bends easy? Loud?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

18 years ago

well they have edge, and they work great for soloing, but if you are playing in a sax section, they suck. they bend well and have edge. our lead alro played on a yani metal and there was no blend, and i was playing the same mouthpiece on bari. they are bright and edgy, but the tone sucks. and it wasnt the player, me and some other guys played the piece and we couldnt change the sound

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I've tried meyers, they're not for me >_

Reply To Post AIM

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

junkdude.com and worlswidesax.com (maybe .net) has tonalins in and out and junkdudes are much cheaper. i agree on the new meyers, a lot of people like them, but they are not for me, however the vintage ones are great, very ballsy. however, it seems like your worried about cost and those run around $500. the jody jazz pieces are very bright but not aws bright as yani or link metals.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM